Wednesday 25 September 2013

The Early Nantes Catches The Worm?

Not if you cover it with a fine mesh net!

I've started cropping the carrots from the carrot temple:


Thank goodness I netted them.  There's no carrot root fly on any of the varieties. And thank goodness I bothered to label the rows:


Not So Early Nantes would be a true description.  The trouble is that once you have a net in place there is a natural reluctance to remove it so weeding and thinning can be overlooked for rather too long.  Here's the net with parsnips beside and Runner Beans and Sweetcorn beyond.



Encouraged by the results I've even got a second net of (very) late sown carrots; Quick growing Paris Market.


I've weeded and thinned since taking this picture, but they have got some way to go before producing an edible crop. I've got plenty to keep us going even if they don't come good in time. 

The nets aren't so pretty, but when the light catches them at a certain angle...



"Medication Time!"

11 comments:

  1. The weeding issue was a problem for us too which is why we started to use the weed control fabric - as for thinning to be honest we just let them do their own thing. If some grow cuddling one another so be it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've thinned the late sown carrots because they need all the help they can get. Maincrop I just sow thinly and leave to their own devices.
      Some day I'm going to pluck up the courage to ask you where you get a bulk supply of proper weed suppressant fabric. I get mine dirt cheap from the pound store - but it disintegrates all to easily. I double it over and peg it down with home made wire staples. Even then if you walk on it it breaks up. This makes picking sof fruit quite a challenge!

      Delete
    2. We go for Amazon or Ebay whichever is cheapest but we make sure it is 100gms per square metre, It reckons it has a 40 year life if there is mulch covering it. The main problem is where it frays when we cut it but under fruit trees that isn't a problem and all the stuff we used last year is reuseable for next year even with the bit of fraying. We've already used the carrots bit for two years and it is good for next. We move the fabric with whichever crop it was used for the previous year.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for that key piece of information, Sue. I've now ordered a length of 100gpsm to fit my brassica patch next year. I follow an "eighteen inch rule" for my brassica planting so that should make it reusable year after year without needing to make new holes.

      Delete
  2. What's "thinning"?

    See Beechgrove this week were recommending covering with straw for winter protection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thinning - see above.

      You get Beechgrove south of the border? Aberdeen's second greatest export.

      Delete
  3. My "Finger" carrots did so well this year that I feel inspired to have a go with some bigger maincrop ones next year. In the past I have always felt that mesh blocks out too much light, but maybe the stuff available now is better?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finger carrots - is that a bit like dwarf conifers, Mark?

      The choice is fairly stark for me: No mesh=no edible carrots. Interestingly the yield is better at the plot than in the overshadowed raised bed (also netted) at home. So your theory about light seems to be borne out. We eat lots of carrots so I am particularly glad to have got a result on this vegetable.

      Delete
  4. Carrots are looking good Mal. I have pulled a few of mine and they are looking great this year...there are even some straight ones!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hasn't 2013 been a great growing year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that last photo of the plot and plants. I've bean meaning to harvest nante carrots so will have to do so this week. I know they need thinned out. Your carrots look a good size.

    ReplyDelete