Sunday 30 August 2015

The Boys From The Black Stuff

Today I peeled back the "black stuff" or weed suppressant fabric (WSF) and dug up the elephant garlic.


Here's the scene on lifting the fabric:


and here's crop drying out in the greenhouse. 


I had been worried about white rot given the wet summer we have had.  About three had succumbed to some extent but there are plenty of healthy bulbs for storage.

All these came from a single clove I bought 3 years ago.  It cost me £1. After one year I had six cloves all of which were replanted providing me with 2 dozen seed cloves for this year. No shortage of seed cloves for next year!

I would say that the WSF has boosted the yield.  I didn't miss the weeding - there was plenty left to do in other areas!




3 comments:

  1. That looks like a good yield. Are you happy with the size of the cloves? I had heard that Elephant Garlic often produces enormous cloves that are not very convenient for use in the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem there Mark - we like our garlic. (Elephant garlic is not the most pungent.)

      Delete
  2. I've never tried elephant garlic but have heard good things about it. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete