Monday 17 October 2016

How Green Is My.... Greenhouse?



Yes I've given up on my outdoor tomatoes, now granted refuge from the elements indoors

Before


Now

Less than a week ago I picked the last of the runner beans and (nearly) the last of the raspberries:


September 2016 has been the warmest on record (globally) but the sweetcorn doesn't seem to have got the message:



Perfectly formed ,,, but immature, as you can see from the one I've picked and stripped. Maybe next year...  maybe not.


4 comments:

  1. Most of our outdoor tomatoes were hit by blight a month or so ago putting an end to most of the crop. We've just about picked the last of our greenhouse tomatoes. Runner beans plants are now compost but we did manage some decent sweet corn this year. Pity that September weather couldn't continue into October.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not many of my neighbours grow veg in their back gardens so the blight never reached them. Now the allotment would be another story. The one plant at home lost to blight (or something just like it) was a flowering currant. Every flowering currant I have grown here has succumbed in the same way! No wonder the pejorative term "you blighter" was so popular.

      Delete
  2. You do have lots of green tomatoes, I hope. They ripen for you. That word globally is the key isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that's not them all! Yes I think the UK had it's hottest September day on record on 12th September (34.4C on the South Coast) More interestingly that was also the hottest UK day for all of 2016. Edinburgh is a law unto itself - but generally cooler.

      Delete