Friday 17 February 2017

To Bee Or Not To Bee




Spot the entrance holes?


Last year I started noticing bumble bees in our garden.  Then I picked up an identification pamphlet issued by the Bumblebee Conservation Trust.  Next thing you know I was researching how to build a bumble bee hostel.   By this stage it was too late on in the year to be of any benefit, so I shelved my plans for the winter. Now has my enthusiasm waned?  Not at all. Currently I am reading "A Sting In The Tale" by Dave Goulson a hilarious and informative read I would recommend to anyone.  Recently I bought a willow tree with the primary purpose of encouraging bumble bees and today, taking advantage of the warmer weather,  I deployed two hostels under the hedge alongside the pond.

Key Elements:  Roof, Platform and Access Pipe

Nest building materials inside the pot

And here's a picture of the target of this exercise (taken last autumn)

22/08/16
From what I read it is touch and go whether either of these hostels will be adopted.  Let's wait and see!

Bee Bumble

1 comment:

  1. I am planning on making a bug hotel from some sections of clay pipe.

    ReplyDelete