Thursday 16 March 2017

Tunnel Vision - Innocent and Guilty

There is so much happening just now (what with Spring and all) that I am in danger of giving up on my blog. But right now it is raining. So here's a catch up:


Although I've lived in Edinburgh for 3 decades and explored most corners of it I was taken aback to come across this tunnel on the Innocent Railway (now footpath) connecting Duddingston with St Leonards districts of Edinburgh.  It is claimed to be the first railway tunnel in the UK on Edinburgh's first railway and is over 500m long.


Footpath Sign


The name is said to come from the exemplary safety record of the line. Either that or it's picturesque route or sedentary speed.

This is what the tunnel is travelling under:
Holyrood Park Salisbury Crags

If you are up for the ride you can travel through the tunnel at the following link:

Bike Journey Through Innocents Railway Tunnel 

and if you are keen on that sort of thing you can also travel back in time to do it by train at the following link:

Innocents Train 1968



Back at the plot I was mightily disappointed when I dug up the second of two drainage pipes planted with horseradish a couple of years ago.  Instead of a thick stem I got two foot of spaghetti strands:



A single six inch thong has been planted up in a tall container in the hope that a richer mixture might produce a better result by this autumn.


While I'm at it here is a snap of a guilty female sparrowhawk that appeared in our garden on Saturday.  It is standing on a pigeon it has just killed on our lawn and taken to a quiet corner of the garden.


And here's the nervous sparrows keeping an eye out for the intruder from the relative safety of a hedge.


On one previous occasion a sparrowhawk did a divebomb raid on the same hedge and made off with a sparrow, upsetting all who witnessed it as we were gathered around the table by the window at the time.

Innocents JCC poem/song

2 comments:

  1. We must try digging up some of our ancient horseradish one day. I once rescued a blackbird from the claws of a sparrow hawk. I know I shouldn't have interfered but I could ignore the poor bird's screaming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to hear from you Mal, I know exactly how you feel about the blog...I have been the same lately...but then I think about all the hard work I've put into it and how it's kind of like a personal diary so I am trying to get back into it and stay on top of everything else too!!

    ReplyDelete