Monday 30 October 2017

First Frost


-0.7 C registered on the outdoor thermometer last night.  Ice on cars this morning.  Like a punctuation mark at the end of a sentence we had our first frost of the season. So it is goodbye to these Bishop of Llandaff dahlias that have been so stunning by the front door all this summer.


I will of course attempt to dry them out and store over winter, but the greenhouse temperature was down to 0.6 C and the shed was down to 0.9 C so I am not sure I will find a suitable home for them.




4 comments:

  1. I think the main thing with dahlia tubers is to keep them dry isn’t it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are, of course, correct. In my youth I recall the year when 90% of our dahlias were lost one winter. When the survivors were planted out the following spring they turned out to all be one variety. (Edinburgh: it was an omen!)

      Delete
  2. I haven’t recorded a below zero temperature in October. I’m going to try to store our dahlia tubers in potato sacks and keep them in the garage along with our potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought it was a misreading until I had to scrape the ice off the car!

    ReplyDelete