Wednesday 25 October 2017

Successional Sowing Success


In the past I have annually regretted my lack of foresight when it comes to successional sowing. But this year I have experimented with late sowings of cut and come again salads sown in half seed trays. The dates on these four are 19 August, 8 September, 26th September and 7th October (see below).  The earliest tray has already been chopped and is regrowing. The second is currently being trimmed  one section at a time and the last two are coming on nicely.  Looks like our lunches will continue to be pepped up for a few weeks yet.  Although this picture has been taken in the greenhouse the trays have been sitting out in the elements and have only just been moved inside now that the tomatoes and peppers have been cleared out my small greenhouse.


While I am on the subject I will admit that the successional sowing at the plot has been a little disappointing.  Second and third sowings of beetroot, lettuce, pak choi, even leaf beet  have produced very patchy or non existent rows -  probably as a result of all the rain and the resulting slug action.  In future I will sow more thickly to allow for poor germination and heavier predation.

Sometimes it is a good idea to sow more more more.




4 comments:

  1. Well done with achiving the successional salad. So far I haven't got past 2 sowings myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has taken me years to get around to doing this.

      Delete
  2. We have very mixed results from successional sowing,

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was surprised by that, Sue. Is it all down to slugs being more active later in the year?

    ReplyDelete