Wednesday 29 November 2017

Cut and Come Again Microgreens - cont


Here is the current state of play with my cut and come again autumn sowings. Set in the (unheated) greenhouse I have half trays of  "Nice and Spicey"(N&S) to the rear and "Speedy Mixed" (SM) in the front. The earliest sowing was 19th August followed by 8th September and both of these have been harvested once.  I think the slugs had a nibble of the earliest sowing when it was still outdoors, so there isn't much "come again" about that one. The 26th September sowing of N&S and the 7th October of SM are currently harvestable as Macrogreens whereas the SM sown 27th October could only qualify as Micro, still being at the cotyledon stage of leaf development.


In fact they are pretty much the same as my most recent indoor sown rocket microgreens,

Microgreen Rocket at 10 days old
To date I have yet to get a second harvest off any of the Cut and Come Again sowings. 8th September is nearly there but all growth is in abeyance now that the temperature has dropped. I might squeeze it onto the kitchen windowsill for a week or so before cutting!



On the left, cut and coming on again - 3 week later sowing on the right just about big enough to harvest for the first time.

So I have been having fun experimenting how far in the year  I can push the cut and come again salad cold sowing.  I think I have definitely reached the limit and both heat and light would be required between now and next spring.

And yes I still have some basil and coriander microgreens under lights.  The coriander that has germinated (about half) is nice and tall but the basil is very low growing. No chance of getting scissors in there.  I am beginning to see the advantages of mustard and cress!





No comments:

Post a Comment