Thursday 25 January 2018

Red for Go?

OK I have been impulsive.  Finding myself in the locality of a Garden Centre with an hour to kill in mid winter, I  bought some onion sets.


Have some sympathy for me: the label clearly states "Planting time December/May" 



As it was an impulse buy I hadn't checked out the books before buying so was dependant on the information from the vendor. All the books warn against planting onion sets too early.  Guaranteed to bolt so it would seem.  (That's excluding autumn planted Japanese onions) A week later and some of my sets are looking a bit blue and one or two have shrivelled, so to hedge my bets I have planted half of them up in modules to be kept in an unheated greenhouse.  The others I will keep dry indoors for now. I should have heeded the warning:


2 comments:

  1. I don’t think we will plant any sets in modules this year as last year the end result didn’t seem any different to the ones planted in the ground. Minds may change though depending on conditions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew my sets with and without starting in modules last year too but due to poor record keeping didn't register whether there was any advantage in doing so. (It was a good onion year though!)

      Delete