Tuesday 6 February 2018

Time to Face The Music

Clearing the decks for spring I have to record that the cut and come again trays in the greenhouse and on the kitchen windowsill failed to deliver.  They stalled at the microgreen size and proceeded no further.  Whether it was cold, lack of nutrition or lack of sunlight is academic.  The yield did not justify the effort



Another failure has been my attempt to overwinter broad beans at the plot.  I thought my fleece tent would shelter them.


Maybe it did help,  but some agency has still uprooted any plants that survived into the new year:

Move on please - Nothing to see here


A combination of frost action and mice I would guess.  On the plus side my Malwina strawberries delivered to late for planting out look quite happy in their temporary greenhouse residence





Also getting greenhouse space are these violas


Holding on for spring is this bedraggled parsley plant


On the plus side too is the clamped carrots


Despite my best efforts we are only three quarters of the way through the crop.  BTW  I have added carrot cake to my limited baking repertoire.

One more admission.  The pigeons discovered the purple sprouting broccoli was get attable through the net, and get at this one they did. 

Skeletalised PSB

Fortunately one robust plant is taller than all the others and so they couldn't get at the shorter ones.  Talk about taking one for the team!








6 comments:

  1. Aw, shame about the broad beans. I'm always envious of people taking home lovely harvests of beans months earlier than us (still haven't achieved an early crop ourselves yet)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the other allotmenteers' beans are always greener!

      Delete
  2. I really do wonder whether trying to battle with winter is worth the effort. At least you have managed to grow your PSB.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tried to overwinter some lettuce and salad type stuff in the greenhouse at home a few years ago. It was a total failure. Haven't tried since. Planning on planting some broad beans in modules in the greenhouse at the end of the month - have never managed to overwinter them on the allotment. No doubt I'll try again one year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So when we hear that the UK imports 40% of our food - its the food we eat in winter!?

    ReplyDelete