Sunday 8 April 2018

Something Nice in the Woodshed....


Too early to sow tomatoes?  Well these were sown in January:



I figured: If you have a propagator and lights, why not use them?  Of course I hadn't reckoned on one of the coldest springs on record. So I have been watching the outdoor temperatures and biting my nails since then.  This week I have potted them up and today I potted up the chillies that were sown at the same time. They get to spend days out -  in the greenhouse - but still get pampered at night for now. This hardening off lark is no joke



On the plus side I have refrained from sowing beans sweetcorn or courgettes up until now!

These pictures are a week or two old - my trusty pocket camera has jammed and is off at the repair shop. 

One song for the tomatoes:


and one for the camera:


8 comments:

  1. Hope that you get your camera back soon - I'd be lost without a camera.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I plant my toms on Valentine’s Day, they spend February in the spare room on a south facing window and then go to the greenhouse. This year they then came out of the greenhouse, along with the chilli and spent March in the hall. They went back to school in April and I think we are now past the worst. I have great fun reading your blog. If you can grow it in Edinburgh I can try in Somerset.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like the idea of Valentines as a reminder of when to sow - a bit like Good Friday for first potatoes! Thanks for your kind comment.

      Delete
  3. Planning on sowing our tomato seeds in the next few days. Haven't given a thought to sweetcorn or courgettes. Not trusting the paraffin heater for the toms?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are quite right - I should have them in the greenhouse round the clock by now but I have pampered them too much. I use 8C as my reference temperature for toms and peppers rather than 0C for everything else. You know we've only recently surpassed 8C here in Edinburgh!

      Delete
  4. These tomatoes look lovely, very healthy and strong! Mine were only sown mid-march so aren't even half the size of yours yet. We had heavy snow here in South Lanarkshire just last week, so it's hard to believe warm weather will ever come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Agnieszka. You have probably saved yourself a lot of anxiety and will catch up in no time. Scotland is experiencing an East/West split at the moment, and the East is still cold. (We have struggled up to 7C so far today!)

      Delete